Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My Advice for Potential Teachers

I am a Middle School teacher who has been around for a long time. Here are my words of wisdom for new teachers looking to get a job.

I landed my first teaching job in a parochial school. I knew someone who got me an interview. Teaching in a private or parochial school may not pay as much as public school, but it will get you experience.

I landed my first teaching job because I possess these qualities.... I have good people skills. I have the ability to talk to people and am very friendly. When you are working with children, you need to be able to relate to them. You need to have a rapport. Administrators look for teachers that they feel can not only relate to the students, but to the parents. You need to be able to talk to parents about the good things, and about the bad.

Finding a teaching job can be hard, but here is some advice to make it easier. Be sociable. Talk to people. Develop a rapport with anybody that knows somebody. Keep your name out there. Substitute in as many districts as you can, and get people to know you. Make friends with the secretaries, as they are the first ones to know if a position has opened. Network! Network! Network! And don't be afraid to ask the principal to observe you substituting, so they will see what a great job you do.
This post is part of the Teaching Jobs Portal: “How to land a Teacher Job”. What was your journey like to become a teacher? If you’d like to share your experience with other aspiring teachers please see this post for more information

No comments:

Post a Comment